Sunday, April 5, 2009

Un-tight Tights

While NaBloPoMo's theme this month is about growing, for me this first week of posting seems to be about shrinking.  My to-post list in particular.  First a 4 month old report on gingerbread houses. Now a 6 month old report on tights. I'm feeling lighter already.

In September, I trolled all the major department stores and websites for the perfect pair of tights.  I ended up with a promising sounding pair in hopes that the beauty and freedom of skirts would once again be part of my personal style.  Then snow, wind and rain appeared and jeans became a necessary form of protection.

Now it is spring. Once again I dream of actually wearing some of my skirts.  The realization that spring in the Pacific Northwest can be windy and chilly, means I'm back to tights.

The pair I bought in September don't measure up to my hopes.  The material is lovely - soft and thick.  And amazingly enough, they are plenty long.  But, because of their one-size-fits-all status, they lack any sort of "control top." Which means they don't stay up. I find few things more distressing in life than having the crotch of my tights at my knees while pursing my children at the park.

My current fix is to wear bike shorts over them to keep them up, but this is a bulky and bumpy solution.  Not a good combination with a sleek and flowy skirt. 

What's a girl to do?


No comments: