Monday, April 6, 2009

Lucky Girl by Mei-Ling Hopgood

As part of their comic strip, hubby Bill and friend Gene post a weekly book review.  Publishers love this, which translates into many boxes of "advance reading copy" books at our front door. Once in a while, one of them piques my curiosity.

I spent most of Sunday morning curled up on the couch ignoring my kids (who were playing happily near by) so I could explore one of these advance copies that Bill put in my space. Foremost, Lucky Girl was a pleasure to read. Mei-Ling Hopgood is a journalist by trade and her storytelling skills pleased me.  But the story interested me particularly because Mei-Ling, who is close to my age, was born in China and adopted by an American couple living in the US. She chronicles her reunion with her birth family. 

Reading about others on the adoption triangle keeps me open and thinking.  Hopgood's story and outlook differed quite a bit from many stories I have heard, and I always welcome a new perspective. The book is out in hardcover now (and there is a really cool video for it). Pick up the book, or ask your library to buy it - for the authentic and warmly practical style as much as the interesting and compelling glimpse into someone else's experience. 



No comments: