Saturday, November 7, 2009

November Lotion

All the cold and rain is drying out Rosie's knees, my cuticles, and Theo's elbows. Another batch of lotion to the rescue!

Over the summer I tried using honey in a batch. I didn't notice any improved moisturizing properties, but I did notice an irritating stickiness and an increased tendency for the dog to follow me around trying to lick me.

Back to a more conservative mix, here's what is on the stove today:

2 TBSP beeswax
3/4 c grapeseed oil
1/4 c jojoba oil
2 TBSP coconut oil
1 c olive oil
1 c water
6 drops sweet orange oil
6 drops rosemary oil

This recipe makes enough to fill my 16 oz pump, with about 4 ounces left over. First person to post in comments gets a sample. I love to share!

Here's a trick I've learned to getting the lotion into the containers: when the lotion is mixed and cooled, I spoon it all into a gallon size ziplock bag. Once I've zipped the bag, I cut a tiny corner off on side and easily squeeze the contents of the bag into the small hole of the receiving containers.




2 comments:

Carrie said...

Wow that sounds luscious! Where do you buy your supplies?

Sara said...

I bought a huge box of oils (and vitamins) from vitacost.com. The prices were much lower than elsewhere. Plus they have a groovy $4.99 one price shipping which is great for ordering heavier items like oils.

Email me your address and I'll send you a little bottle!