Saturday, May 2, 2009

5 Great Questions

I often sense that the way I handle difficult situations for my children doesn't work well for them.  Usually I have no plan, I just start talking.  Here's something I'd like to try:

Five questions for you to ask your child to help him or her deal with problem situations:

• What happened?
• How did that make you feel?
• What did you say or do when that happened?
• If something like that happens again, do you think you will
deal with it the same way?
• Would you like me to do something?

1 comment:

Vicki said...

I like all the questions except for one--"How did that make you feel?" I think language is powerful and I worry (perhaps too much) about the subtlety of the wording. I believe we experience feelings and reactions but that no one person or situation is responsible for making me feel a certain way. I prefer, "What are you feeling?" A bit petty, yes, but I think it gets us closer to taking responsible for our reactions rather than blaming others or a situation for our feelings.