Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sleep Geek Gone Extreme?

I drive a lot.  Really, a lot.  So I've developed highly structured strategies for when to go which way on what highway at what time of day.

On one of those highways, I often pass by some sort of small scale alternative farm.  From my quick glances as I whiz by, the building seems to be a hydroponic farm with a fancy gyrating light system that insures that all the plants in the largish room get consistent "full sun" effect. Tonight I passed by at 9:30 pm, realized the lights were still gyrating along and guessed that probably those lights go all night long.

My first thought?  "That is so inappropriate.  Those plants need their rest."

That's pretty sleep geeky, don't you think?

AND, honestly, who wants to eat food from a plant that is forced to grow 24/7?  Plants, like humans, need their rest and quality of the night time dark has been shown to be as important as the day time light for their growth and development. I'm confident that the level of nutrition provided by these plants on "no-dose" is far inferior to the well-rested ones out in a dark field.

It entertains me that now I'm wondering if my salad might be sleep deprived.  It's 8pm, do you know where your chard is?



No comments: