Thursday, October 30, 2008

Visions of Sugar Plums

Actually, it's gingerbread houses, but I'm in serious sugar-laden holiday dreaming mode.  We're going to host a gingerbread house camp here in December.

Two years ago I picked up a gingerbread house how-to book at Whole Foods on a whim.  The book made it all sound so fun and easy that the kids and I actually decided to try it.  Making that house was hands down my favorite holiday activity ever.  I loved all the planning, the careful work and seeing the truly impressive house emerge.  More, though, I enjoyed the hours of sitting peacefully engaged in a compelling project with my kids, smelling lovely smells and hearing festive music .

Last year the frenzy of moving excluded the relaxing hours of food crafts, so I'm doubly looking forward to the project (though I think being housebound with Rosie's chicken pox may also have contributed to the relaxed pace of that particular holiday season).  Here is our beauty from 2 years ago.

Can't wait to see what 4 days of friend-inspired creativity will bring!

No comments: