Monday, January 21, 2008

The 888 Challenge

Mama Peep over at Classical Education Our Way put me on to the 888 Challenge.

I am always up for a challenge that includes lots of books and learning more about whatever tickles my interest, so I immediately started making catagories and lists. Very exciting, though I'm stuck on a few of the catagories (sometimes just for want of a few more unpacked boxes). Let me know if you have any suggestions to fill the gaps!

Sara's 888
Adoption and Race
1. Outsiders Within
2. Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? by Tatum
3. Can We Talk about Race? by Tatum
4. Real parents, Real Children by van Gulden
5. Bone Black by bell hooks
6. Rock My Soul: Black People and Self Esteem by bell hooks
7. I’m Chocolate, You’re Vanilla by Wright
8. … Looking for a book by first moms… ideas anyone?

Parenting (some of these are re-reads)
1. Kids are worth it by Coloroso
2. Playful Parenting by Cohen
3. Kids, Parents and Power Struggles by Kurchinka
4. Protecting the Gift by deBecker
5. The book about raising healthy black children on my desk
6. How to Really Love You Child by Campbell
7. Temperment Tools by Neville and Johnston
8. Our Bodies, Ourselves

Education (for me about teaching the kids)
1. Young, Gifted, and Black: Promoting High Achievement Among African American Students by Steele
2. Smart Girls by Barbara Kerr
3. Dumbing us Down
4. The African history book hiding in one of the unpacked boxes
5. Eight Great Plays by Piekoff (on tape)
6.
7.
8.

Homeschool (novels for us to read together)
1. Battle for the Castle
2. D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths by Ingri and Edgar Parin D'Aulaire
3. Return of the Indian by Banks
4. The Trumpet of the Swan – E.B. White
5. The Sword in the Tree – Clyde Robert Bulla
6. Thimble Summer – Elizabeth Enright
7. Call It Courage – Armstrong Perry
8. The Door in the Wall – Marguerite di Angeli

Graphic Novels
1. Usagi Yojimbo book 7
2. Usagi Yojimbo book 8
3. Elfquest 4
4. Elfquest 5
5.
6.
7.
8.

Make me laugh, make me cry
1. Thank you Jeeves by PG Wodehouse
2. Right Ho Jeeves
3. Something by bell hooks
4. The Tower at Sony Wood by Patricia A. Mchillip
5. iPhone, The Missing Manual
6. Strong Enough? By Mark Rippetoe
7.
8.

The Wanna Read Someday Shelf
1. Healing the New Childhood Epidemics by Kenneth Bock
2. Home Comforts by Mendleson
3. Body Clutter by FlyLady
4. Good Calories, Bad Calories by Taubes
5.
6.
7.
8.

Victorian Pulp Fiction
1. George by Alexandre Dumas
2. Cyrano de Bergerac
3. Count of Monte Critso by Dumas
4. Kim by Rudyard Kipling
5. Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte
6. Women in White by Wilkie Collins
7. Tale of Two Cities by Dickens
8. The Wrong Box by RL Stevenson

1 comment:

Mama Peep said...

I found your blog!!!!! You did not tell me you had one!! I have lots to catch up on. It is great that you are taking the challenge as well. I have been reading just not blogging about the books I am reading. I deviated from my list a bit. While I was in Ecuador I ran out of books. I had to get some there and it was hard finding any in English. It would hurt my brain too much to read them all in Spainsh. :-)